Granola bars are super convenient as pre- or post-workout snacks. However, as much as I love desserts, I don’t always want sugar-sweetened snacks right around my workout times. Medjool dates are perfect as a sugar replacement – offering a delicate sweet taste without empty high-glycemic sugar, while providing sustaining energy for my workouts. Not only do they offer carbohydrates and natural sugar, medjool dates also provide dietary fiber as well as important minerals such as potassium, iron, and magnesium. Medjool dates also contain nutrients that help to prevent leg cramps. I sometimes prepare these granola bites as a hiking snack; they are best eaten 30 minutes prior a hike, and then every 2 hours as a replenishment.
In the following video you can see that I’ve created two versions: a regular and a high protein version made with Simply Zero organic unsweetened protein powder. The regular version provides 3.3 grams of protein while the high protein version provides 8.6 grams of protein.
Homemade Sugarless Granola Bites
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 pc medjool dates pitted
- 1 banana ripe
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips optional
- Preheat oven at 350F (175C)
- Presoak medjool dates in hot water for 15 to 20 minutes
- Add all ingredients in a food processor. Puree until it's lumpy.
- Mix in chocolate chips. Mix with a spatula
- Use a tablespoon to scoop granola mixture on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes
- Serve after cooling for 10 minutes