Rice Krispies breakfast cereal has been around for a long time, and is the main ingredient in the sticky, marshmallow-encased rice crispy treats. Recently, Kellogg’s has started offering a gluten-free version of Rice Krispies cereal. So in honor of May being Celiac Awareness Month, we thought we would compare the two. Is one version of this cereal better than the other?
Nutrition Faceoff: Rice Krispies vs. Rice Krispies Gluten-Free Cereal
|Rice Krispies||Rice Krispies Gluten-Free|
|Serving size:||1 cup||1 cup|
|Calories:||107 kcal||110 kcal|
|Fat:||0.3 g||0.5 g|
|Protein:||2 g||2 g|
|Total Carbs:||24 g||25 g|
|Sugar:||3 g||1 g|
|Fiber:||Less than 1 g||Less than 1 g|
|Sodium:||157 mg||180 mg|
|Potassium:||25 mg||85 mg|
|Ingredients:||rice, sugar, salt, malt flavor||brown rice, sugar, salt|
Dietitian’s Take: Rice Krispies vs. Rice Krispies Gluten-Free Cereal
Here are the highlights:
- The original version of the cereal lists four ingredients: rice, sugar, salt, and malt flavor, which comes from barley malt (contains gluten). The gluten-free version eliminates barley malt and is instead made with brown rice, sugar, and salt. Both versions are fortified with the same vitamins (the B-vitamins, folate, Vitamins A, C, and E), and minerals (iron).
- The gluten-free version contains more potassium, likely from the brown rice.
- In a 1-cup serving, the original version contains 3 g of sugar compared to 1 g of sugar in the gluten-free version.
- Both versions are low in fiber, despite the gluten-free one being made from brown rice.
Our Pick: Rice Krispies Gluten-Free
Let’s keep it simple: The gluten-free version of the cereal is made with brown rice and has less sugar and more potassium. Even if you are not gluten-intolerant, the gluten-free version of Rice Krispies is a better pick.
- Nutrition Faceoff: Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing vs. Fat-Free
- Nutrition Faceoff: Kraft Macaroni and Cheese Original versus Half-Fat
- Nutrition Faceoff: Low-Fat Milk vs. Low-Fat Chocolate Milk
- Beyond Semolina: Top 5 Non-Wheat Pasta Varieties
- Nutrition Faceoff: Amy’s All-American Veggie Burger vs. California Veggie Burger