Written By: Sofia Layarda, RD
Last Updated on:
As January approaches, the colder weather and shorter days combine and send us into “hibernation” mode. Before you know it, you need one more cup of coffee, a candy bar, or a can of soda for a little pick-me-up when your energy level slumps. Instead of band-aid fixes, consider some things you can do consistently in your daily life to get energized, and stay energized.
In the book Positively Ageless, author Cheryl Forberg, RD suggests a list of dietary and lifestyle choices to help prevent fatigue from ever invading your day.
5 Simple Steps to Boost Your Energy
Try following these 5 simple guidelines to keep yourself energized throughout the day:
- Fuel up smart. Get enough fiber and protein in your diet; fiber helps prevent constipation (which can make you feel sluggish) and protein helps keep your muscles strong. Foods that are high in both fiber and protein are: lentils, beans, and whole grains.
- Steady state. Work on keeping a steady blood sugar level – think small frequent meals spread fairly evenly throughout the day, consisting of complex carbohydrates and protein. Always having an afternoon slump in mid-afternoon? It may due to your big lunch with too much simple carb! Include whole grains in your lunch to keep your blood sugar steady
- Reach for foods that are rich in the B vitamins and iron. Eat iron-rich foods in particular, are important for ladies who are chronically anemic.
- Love thy liquids. Keep yourself hydrated with the right fluids, such as water and green tea. Forgo coffee and sodas. If you drink alcohol, do so only in moderation. Alcohol not only dehydrates; it can disrupt your sleep and cause Vitamin B deficiencies.
- Exercise. Every little bit counts, so start committing time to exercise like you would any other appointment. If 30 minutes a day seems like a lot to start with, break it down into three 10-minute chunks spread throughout the day.
The Bottom Line
Fill your healthy living toolbox with these simple energy-boosting guidelines to stay jazzed and exhilarated throughout the winter season.
Tell Us: Do you have any energy-boosting tips?
Sofia believes in bringing back fun and pleasure into everyday eating. She loves cooking, and is constantly experimenting with ingredients, creating recipes and trying them out on family and friends. Her latest interest lies in finding realistic and practical ways of environmentally-friendly food/eating habits.