This month, instead of looking at packaged food products, we decided to look at two items popular with healthy-food enthusiasts: flax seeds and hemp hearts.
Nutrition Faceoff: Flax Seeds vs. Hemp Hearts
|Flax Seeds||Hemp Hearts|
|Serving Size:||3 Tbsp (31 g)||3 Tbsp (30 g)|
|Calories:||165 kcal||170 kcal|
|Fat:||13 g||13 g|
|Saturated Fat:||1.1 g||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat:||2.3 g||1.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat:||8.9 g||10 g|
|Omega-6 Fatty Acids:||1.8 g||8 g|
|Omega-3 Fatty Acids:||7 g||2.5 g|
|Protein:||5.7 g||10 g|
|Total Carbohydrates:||8.9 g||3 g|
|Fiber:||8.4 g||3 g|
- Both flax seeds and hemp hearts are great sources of unsaturated fatty acids. Flax seeds contain more omega-3 fatty acids (alpha-linolenic acid, aka ALA) than omega-6 fatty acids, while hemp hearts contain more omega-6 fatty acids (gamma-linolenic acid, aka GLA) than omega-3 fatty acids.
- Flax seeds and hemp hearts provide about the same amount of calories. They contain the same amount of fat, but flax seeds contain more fiber, while hemp hearts contain more protein.
Our Pick: It’s A Tie!
You can’t go wrong with either one of these; it’s a matter of preference. If you eat seeds for their protein value, go for hemp hearts. On the other hand, if you eat seeds for their fiber content, go for flax seeds. They each have something to offer nutritionally, and you likely wouldn’t be consuming large quantities in one sitting. So, incorporate either seed as a topping for cereal, yogurt, or salad or add into baked goods! Note that flax seeds come in golden and brown varieties.
Tell Us: Which seeds do you prefer?
- Flax Seeds – Seed Varieties and Health Benefits
- Hemp Seeds: Are there Health Benefits?
- Health Benefits of Omega 3
- Comparing Nutritional Values of Edible Seeds
- Foods that Help You Focus: Eggs, Fish, Quinoa, Sunflower Seeds
Sofia believes in bringing back fun and pleasure into everyday eating. She loves cooking, and is constantly experimenting with ingredients, creating recipes and trying them out on family and friends. Her latest interest lies in finding realistic and practical ways of environmentally-friendly food/eating habits.