Just about every super food claims to help lower cholesterol. So which one actually lives up to its claim? Our Heart Smart Nutrition section is one of the more popular sections on HealthCastle.com. Whether you are a regular reader or not, can you spot the 10 foods in this poster?
Top 10 Foods to Lower Cholesterol
Answer can be found below:
Answers (alphabetical order)
- Beans and lentils – for their fiber, soluble fiber in particular.
- Dark chocolate – for its flavonoid.
- Edamame – for its isoflavones and fiber.
- Extra-virgin olive oil – for its mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
- Garlic – for its allicin.
- Oat – for its soluble fiber.
- Pinot Noir Wine – for its resveratrol and other flavonoids.
- Psyllium – for its soluble fiber.
- Salmon – for its omega-3 fatty acid, DHA in particular.
- Walnuts – for its ALA omega-3 and mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
- Olive Oil 101 – Podcast
- Psyllium Husk for High Cholesterol and Heart Disease
- All About Olive Oil
- Top 5 Super Foods to Lower Cholesterol
- How Do Chocolate Products Stack Up, Nutritionally?
Gloria Tsang is the author of 5 books and the founder of HealthCastle.com, the largest online nutrition network run by registered dietitians. Her work has appeared in major national publications, and she is a regularly featured nutrition expert for media outlets across the country. The Huffington Post named her one of its Top 20 Nutrition Experts on Twitter. Gloria’s articles have appeared on various media such as Reuters, NBC & ABC affiliates, The Chicago Sun-Times, Reader’s Digest Canada, iVillage and USA Today.