No these are not scallops. They are cheesy sweet potato bites. Melty cheese in the center you can actually pull. Sweet potatoes are just versatile, it could be used in both savory and dessert dishes. Taking advantage of its natural sweetness, I’ve made these gluten free bite-sized snacks, with melty cheese to boot! Each serving provides 3.1 grams of protein.
When I shared this video on IGTV, I received a few questions about substituting glutinous rice flour. While you can replace it with potato starch or rice flour, I’d suggest sticking to glutinous rice flour. As sweet potatoes generally contain a lot of more moisture than regular potatoes, using glutinous rice flour helps to absorb the moisture and keep its shape. This is the Japanese glutinous rice flour that appears in my video; I use it in various Japanese and Asian dessert dishes. This may also be called sweet rice flour but don’t worry, it’s not sweet at all. Other brands of glutinous rice flour will work as well.
Cheesy Sweet Potato Bites
- 4 medium Sweet potatoes (~ 1 lb)
- 6-8 tbsp Glutinous rice flour (½ cup)
- ⅛ tsp Black pepper
- ½ cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded or vegan cheese
- 1 stalk Green onion or parsley (optional)
- Peel sweet potatoes, cut into smaller pieces, and steam for 15 minutes or until they are tender. Mash and let them cool down.
- Once cooled, add glutinous rice flour, then mix with a spatula.
- Add green onion, shredded cheese, and black pepper. Mix well with hands and roll them into ball shape.
- Preheat a non-stick pan and drizzle with oil; turn to medium heat. Place sweet potato balls onto the pan; slightly flatten them with the back of the spoon. Cook for about 2 minutes or until crusted.
- Flip and again flatten. Cook for another 2 minutes. You may flip them a couple of times as needed. Serve immediately and season with salt if needed.